Information You Share
- Your Group Administrator determines how little or how much information must be shared with other members and leaders of your group.
- You generally control how much personal information you choose to share with other Group Members, within those parameters set by the Group Administrator.
- Individuals who wish to deactivate their BigTent account may login to their account and go to Home > settings > group info to suspend membership in a group.
Children On BigTent
- Children under 13 are not allowed to have accounts on the BigTent Site.
- Children 13-18 are encouraged to get parental permission before registering for accounts on the BigTent Site.
What BigTent Does With Your Information
- The information you provide is for sharing with other Group Members privately, unless you opt to share beyond your group.
- Third party advertisers have no access to your personal profile information or User Content stored on the BigTent Site unless it is in an aggregated format and/or non-personally identifiable.
- There may be opportunities on the site for you to opt-in and share personal information, but it's your choice and we'll always ask you first.
- BigTent does not share any personally identifiable information outside your group without your permission except in extremely limited circumstances described below.
- BigTent treats data as an asset that must be protected and uses many tools and techniques to protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure.
- Please bear in mind that, as you probably know, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications, and others may abuse or misuse your personal information that they collect from the BigTent Site.
The Information We Collect
When you visit the BigTent Site you provide us with two types of information: personal information you knowingly choose to disclose and BigTent Site use information collected by us as you interact with our BigTent Site.
Group Administrator requirements: When you register a group on the BigTent Site, you become the "Group Administrator." As a Group Administrator, you provide us with certain group information, such as group name and size, and certain personal information, such as your name, your email address, and your telephone number and any other personal or preference information that you provide to us. In addition, as a Group Administrator, you decide what personal information will be collected from the other members of your group (or your "Group Members") and you determine what type of information in a Group Member's personal profile will be shared with other Group Members. A Group Administrator will also be a Group Member.
Group Member requirements: When you register as a Group Member, you provide us with certain personal information. BigTent only requires that you provide us your email address and zip code. Your Group Administrator may also require that you provide additional personal information, such as your name, address, phone number, information about your family members (including your spouse and/or children), interests and affiliations, or other information pertinent to the group. In some cases, your Group Administrator(s) may enter or modify your personal profile information as needed by your group. BigTent does not control or limit the type of personal information that your Group Administrator may require in order for you to be a Group Member.
Information you choose to provide: When you use the BigTent Site, you may choose to upload, publish or display (collectively, "post"), or transmit to or share with other users, photos, personal profiles, messages, notes, text, information, recommendations, opinions, advertisements, documents, files, listings, and other content on or through the BigTent Site (collectively the "User Content"). We collect this information so that we can provide you and your group the service and offer personalized features. In most cases, we retain it so that, for instance, you or other Group Members can return to view prior messages you have sent. When you update your personal profile information, we usually keep a backup copy of the prior version for a reasonable period of time.
You post User Content on the BigTent Site at your own risk. Although the User Content is intended to be accessed only by other Group Members, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and we cannot control the actions of other Group Members. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that User Content you post on the BigTent Site will not be viewed by unauthorized persons. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the BigTent Site. You understand and acknowledge that copies of User Content remain viewable in cached and archived pages or other Group Members may have copied or stored your User Content.
Site use: Similar to other web services, when you use the BigTent site, BigTent collects non-personally identifiable information that helps us improve our service and customize content and advertising. BigTent uses the data for the following general purposes: to customize the advertising and content you see, fulfill your requests for products and services, improve our services, conduct research, and provide anonymous reporting for internal and external clients.
There are three types of non-personally identifiable information we collect.
"Cookies" are text files we may place on your computer to understand user traffic patterns, technology used, usage data and aggregate demographics. They are also used to serve ads and authenticate you on the system. Cookies do not contain any personal information, but they do allow us to personalize the BigTent service by allowing us to relate your BigTent use to information that you have specifically and knowingly provided. You can remove or block cookies using the settings in your browser although doing so may interfere with your use of some of the BigTent Site or services.
Server Logs collect non-personal information such as your Internet Protocol address, browser type and activity on the BigTent Site. This is used for product development and testing, and backup/recovery purposes.
Links to external web sites and clicks on advertisements may be collected and tracked for purposes of better working with our partners to serve you and sustain our business.
Use of Information Obtained by BigTent
Personal information: All Group Members are permitted to view your User Content. In addition, you may also opt in to allow some of your User Content to be shared on an anonymous or named basis with other groups or members within the BigTent Site if you specifically designate it for such sharing. In some cases, your Group Administrator may be able to preview and modify your User Content. For example, if your User Content is not appropriate for your group(s), the Group Administrator(s) may delete it. Further, your Group Administrator(s) may decide to approve all or some User Content before it is posted for view by other Group Members.
BigTent may send you emails containing information from your Group, such as User Content or announcements posted by you and other Group Members or Administrators. Generally, you may configure your personal account settings to set the frequency of such emails or opt-out of all such emails except for special messages from your Group Administrator(s). However, BigTent reserves the right to send you notices about your account or the BigTent service even if you opt out of all voluntary email notifications.
Aggregated data: BigTent may use and disclose information in your personal profile or your User Content without identifying you as an individual to third parties. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies. We do this to improve, measure and personalize our services, content and advertising, such as aggregating how many people are living in a certain area for market research purposes and personalizing advertisements and promotions so that we can support and continue to provide you the BigTent service.
Legal requirements: BigTent may be required to disclose user information pursuant to lawful requests, such as subpoenas or court orders, or in compliance with applicable laws. We do not reveal information until we have a good faith belief that an information request by law enforcement or private litigants meets applicable legal standards. Additionally, we may use and share personal profile, User Content, or other information when we believe it is necessary to protect our interests or property, to prevent potential fraud or other illegal or prohibited activity, or to prevent imminent bodily harm. This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, agents or government agencies.
Sharing with other third parties: The BigTent Site is intended to allow you to share information with other people in your group(s). We do not provide contact information to third party marketers without your permission. We may share your data with trusted third parties only in limited circumstances where we believe such sharing is reasonably necessary to offer the service, or data is in aggregated form, or content is anonymous, or sharing is expressly permitted by you. For example:
- We may provide information to service providers to help us bring you the services we offer. Specifically, we may use third parties to facilitate our business, such as to host the service at a co-location facility for servers or to send out emails. In connection with these offerings and business operations, our service providers may have access to your personal information for use for a limited time in connection with these business activities. Where we utilize third parties for the processing of any personal information on our behalf, we implement reasonable contractual or technical protections limiting the use of that information to the BigTent-specified purposes.
- We may offer certain programs and promotions on the BigTent Site or through your group(s) which your Group Administrator(s) has/have decided to pass on to you, and you may choose to opt in.
- We may offer stores or provide services jointly with other companies on the BigTent Site. You can tell when another company is involved in any store or service provided on the BigTent Site, and we may share customer information with that company in connection with your use of that store or service with your opt-in authorization.
- We may provide anonymous content to partners to allow us or them to target contextually relevant advertisements that may be posted alongside content.
Changing or Removing Information
Access and control over most personal information on the BigTent Site is readily available to you through your account settings. BigTent Site users may modify their personal profile information at any time by logging into their account. Information will be updated immediately. BigTent may maintain a copy of historical information for audit, legal or other purposes.
Individuals who wish to deactivate their BigTent Site account may login to their account and go to Home>settings>group info to suspend membership in a group. Deactivated accounts and their associated personal profiles will persist indefinitely in the BigTent database and Group Administrators may see it in membership reports but it will not be generally available to members through the BigTent Site.
Where you make use of the communication features of the service to share information with other Group Members, however, (e.g., posting User Content) you generally cannot remove such communications.
Your information is stored and processed on our servers located in the United States. We treat data as an asset that must be protected and use many tools (encryption, passwords, physical security, etc.) to protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure. For instance, your personal profile information is located on a secured server. Where appropriate, communication between your web browser and our servers are encrypted using secure socket layer technology (SSL). (To learn more about SSL, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Sockets_Layer). Your account password is encrypted on our servers and is not transmitted in plain text.
However, as you probably know, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications, and other users may abuse or misuse your personal information that they collect from the site. Therefore, although we work very hard to protect your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information or private communications will always remain private.
If you have any questions about the security of the BigTent Site, please contact us at email@example.com
Children Under Age 13
BigTent does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register. If you are under 13, please do not attempt to register for BigTent or send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. No one under age 13 may provide any personal information to or on BigTent. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Children between the Ages of 13 and 18
We recommend that minors over the age of 13 ask their parents for permission before sending any information about themselves to anyone over the Internet. BigTent reserves the right to verify proof of parental permission with group leaders.